Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What Single People Hate to Hear

I DID NOT WRITE THIS TO GET SYMPATHY OR FOR ANYONE TO WALK ON EGGSHELLS AROUND ME! If you know me well, you know that I don't really like that. I just wanted to put my feelings into words.

I think the reason that this is funny is because it is so true! This is called 24 Things Single People Are Tired of Hearing.

1. "How are you still single? You are so great."
2. "It'll happen when you least expect it."
3. "Do you ever get lonely?"
4. "Aren't you worried you won't be able to have kids?"
5. "Are you seeing anyone?"
6. "You should try online dating. My friend met their husband/wife that way."
7. "They don't deserve you."
8. "You are such a catch."
9. "Don't worry, you'll find someone someday."
10. "He's just not ready for a serious commitment yet."
11. "One day when you're married, you'll wish you were single."
12. "There are plenty of fish in the sea."
13. "You're just too picky."
14. "Just don't turn into some crazy cat lady."
15. "She/He probably just lost your number."
16. At a wedding: "You better get out there, they're doing the bouquet toss."
17. "You're just too busy right now."
18. "You have to love yourself before you can love someone else."
19. In reference to you best friend: "Have you guys ever thought of dating?"
20. "I can't wait to meet your future spouse, they are going to be amazing."
21. "We'll all be laughing about this someday."
22. "You should let me set you up, I know the perfect person for you."
23. "Don't give up, it'll happen."
24. "You don't need anyone."

So this is something I have been thinking/struggling with for a long time, but I don't tell people mainly because talking about it won't change anything and I don't want anyone to feel bad for me or try harder to push me into things that aren't me. 
Some of these don't really apply to me, like I wouldn't mind being set up with someone {at this point in my life}, but you had better be SURE that he isn't a creeper and is actually someone I would get along with. Basically, you better know me pretty well to do this. 
I guess this has really been brought to my attention again recently as my best friend {last of the singles, besides me} got married in September. Now for the most part I would say that I have kind of gotten used to the idea of my friends getting married, although when each of them would call, I did cry. Don't get me wrong, I was/am happy for them, it just is like pouring salt in a wound. That friend is expecting this summer and come to find out, a lot of my friends are. It is just incredibly frustrating!
I'M NOT PUTTING THIS ON MY BLOG FOR SYMPATHY OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I guess that I just want to put it in words and since I print this, it may not be a bad idea to have it to see exactly what I thought at any certain time. {Plus isn't writing supposed to be therapeutic?}

In reference to #19, I have been asked this on the couple of occasions that my best friend was a guy. My first guy best friend is married and they are expecting their 3rd child. The other is headed to France for a study abroad and lets face it, we are great friends, but beyond that it may just be disaster!

I have only had two people tell me that they have had positive experiences with online dating, but everyone else says NO.  With the "Do you ever get lonely", of course you do, especially when you have NO single friends. Although there are people everywhere, you just feel like those around you don't truly understand what you are feeling. I don't like going and doing things with lots of people and I'm not very social, but it is hard now that my friend that understood exactly is now married and expecting. 

The ones on this list I hate hearing the most are: 
  • How are you still single, you are great.
  • It'll happen when you least expect it.
  • Don't worry, you'll find someone someday.
  • One day when you're married, you'll wish you were single.
  • You better get in there, they're doing the bouquet toss.

No comments: